(Game Art & Design)
A small reflection of the Open Doors Day that took place at our school this year.
This year all students were responsible for presenting a part of their course. Our class, Game Art & Design, chose to split up in smaller groups and each present a certain course or tasks that we made during the year (could be art, 3D modelling, cases/games etc.). I, along with three other people formed the group that chose to show a bit more about Game Art.
The first step was to decide how exactly we wanted to represent this. We could just randomly place some printouts on a table and walk away, but this wouldn’t be all that interesting. After a discussion with the teacher we decided that we wanted the layout to be a bit more organized and show people the different things we made during the year, as well as the steps/progress while making it. To show that there are many different styles and skill levels in our class, rather than just show the best and scare potential new students away. We’re meant to attract them and show them that they’re here to learn rather than being highly gifted individuals who are only here to quell their boredom.
We noted down all the different tasks we made during this year and organized them from ‘basic’ (grayscale, material studies etc.) to bigger tasks (character & prop design). We then collected several artworks, not only from the four of us, but from everyone in our class who wished to show their work. This to show the different styles and skills. These were not only finished works, but also wips and sketches to show people the progress of creating the artwork. We also thought about making a small book with the wips on different layers, but unfortunately we weren’t able to due to lack of time and amount of wip pictures.
On the day of the setup, we managed to claim a wall in one of our bigger classrooms where we hung printouts of the artworks. There was a bit of discussion about the overall layout (how to hang them on the wall) but eventually it all worked out. As the people would start looking at the wall from left to right, walking alongside it, we placed the artworks based on which task they belonged to, and which task came first in the year (from old to new). This way we could show the progress of the entire year step by step.
For each task I wrote a small description about the task, what we were meant to make, to learn and practice. These were placed alongside the works so that people could understand the importance of the different tasks. Some students even chose to include a small quote as inspiration. For the last task, the character design where we had to mimic different art styles, we placed small cards with the original art style name next to the drawings, as well as examples of the original for one of the works.
Though it’s quite simple, a little bit of organization can really change the first impression one gets when looking at something, and the layout + descriptions help the viewer to understand our progress and goals.
Bonus (note: no real person was harmed during the set-up)